Monday, October 22, 2012

Final Print

1. The balance was not up to par.  There was way more positive space than negative.  There was a lot of unity, as the whole thing holds together pretty well.  I think it has rhythm and movement as it all there is a lot of movement and it flows together well.
2. I added texture by cutting out the cracks in the desert floor.  Even though this ended up causing problems later on, I thought it was a good way to give the picture some feeling.  The cracks and texture of the floor was supposed to contrast with the spider, which was supposed to be without too much texture.
3. I used negative space to cut out the cracks in the floor and cut out the pattern on the spider's legs.
4. From a technical standpoint, the print was decently made.  While at first I was cutting too deep with my cutting tool, eventually I overcame that obstacle and did a good job with the cutter.  The drawing was a little different.  Even though it looked fine at first, the spider was hard to find once the final print was made.
6. For the most part it was a fun experience.  I liked the cutting out and designing the picture was fun.  I think if I understanded how the print would work from the beginning it could have turned out really good in the end.  The texture could have made it look a lot better than just drawing a spider.  However, all of my own mistakes made it look worse than it could have been.  A disadvantage to doing a print is that you need a lot of both positive and negative space for it to look good, which limits your options.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Print Making

1.  Texture is very important for something like this.  Since we are actually going to be cutting things out of the rubber pad, the texture of the animal will be more obvious since you actually will be able to feel it.  That's why I picked a tarantula.  It is furry and people have an idea of what it feels like.

2.  It was important to have multiple pictures of the spider because we will need more than one angle to draw it well.  We used more than one background because we needed one that fit the animal best. 

3.  Truthfully, I wasn't here the first day we drew the animals so I only had the tarantula fully completed.  However, I still think the tarantula would have been the best one to use.  It has lots of fur and using the cracked desert floor will give it more texture.  It has turned out to be harder than I thought it would be to cut out the dessert floor, but if I can pull it off it will be great.
1.  I actually really enjoyed working with the team and coming up with the idea.  My favorite part was coming up with the ideas, but drawing the mural was also fun.  It was kind of difficult to actually make the gold and fire look good, but thanks to Sydney and her art skills we actually were able to pull it off.

2.  If we weren't working together as a team, it would be much harder to come up with an idea and actually pull the mural off.  Because some of the members were better at drawing and some members were better at actually planning it, we were able to make it look somewhat realistic.

3.In my opinion, the project was very successful.  Out of all the pictures, I think ours stood out more than the others.  It was colorful and looked good when people posed with it.  Plus, there weren't bricks that weren't colored in.

4. I think interactive art is very cool.  It makes it more fun for the people looking at the art to actually be a part of it.  Making a larger piece of interactive art would be fun for the school.